Wednesday 25 March 2009

Porto hashers in Literature

As I was reading 'On the Black Hill' by Bruce Chatwin the other day (a fine novel, by the way - I'd recommend it), lo-and-behold I came upon this reference to one of our most prolific hashers and ex-GM:
'A mare came on heat around the end of May, and waited for the visit of ... a magnificent animal called Spanker who made a tour of the hill-farms with his master, Merlin Evans ... People said he had sired a good few more offspring than Spanker.'
So surprised was I to find the great Spanker immortalised in a classic work of literature (albeit with some gender confusion!), it set me to thinking: this can't be the only example.
Indeed, look at this metaphysical delight from George Eliot's 'Middlemarch':
'If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and Squirrel's heartbeat, and we should all die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.'
So, my challenge is: go out, hashers, and find me the literary hash references.
Prizes may be awarded for the best at the Tui weekend.


More Hashers in Literature (from Spanker)

I have been concerned of late that fatherhood is starting to take its toll on one of our nippier hashers, and imagine my surprise to find this concern echoed in Dog Owners Monthly:
"For the sporting Whippet I should be inclined to pick the one with a grizzled face and a fairly dense coat".
For those of a delicate nature, read no further for ahead lie some personal details about our GM, which are perhaps a little too close to home for comfort:
"To use the Plunger...push slowly down, and pull quickly up to engage suction. Repeat several times until...you get tired and have to stop".
Well, I did warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment